About Us

    The present church of St. Teresa of the Infant Jesus was opened in December 1971 but there has been a catholic community in Heaton since the 1920s.
    In 1927 a presbytery was bought in Simonside Terrace and Fr. McCormack began celebrating mass in the "Maisonette" on Heaton Road.
    Eventually a small church was built on land acquired on Heaton road and in 1932 the current presbytery was built.
    The original church , affectionately known as "the tin hut" was used as until sufficient funds had been raised to begin the building project which culminated in our present church building.




    Initially the old church was demolished and replaced with the present church hall building which was used to celebrate mass whilst building work began on the church.



    The exciting octagonal design was created by the architect David Brown and built by Wilfred Marshall.

                

    The Church was consecrated by Bishop Hugh Lindsay  December 1971


                                




    We hope that in future years that St. Teresa's church  may remain a place that is more than just a building; a "church" where one body with many gifts works together to praise God and love our neighbour.